Welcome to the #1 Underground Gospel Hip Hop Online Station Blog Website.
Talk to PO Soul Radio's DJs about general topics.

Catching Up With .. Michael Jai White

It's been a few weeks since Tyler Perry's 'Why Did I Get Married Too?' was released on DVD and while the reviews were mixed when the film was released in theaters, one of the bright spots of this sequel to 'Why Did I Get Married?' was the constant laughs audience got from seeing Michael Jai White and Tasha Smith as the bickering couple Marcus and Angela.

While White has been seen in numerous films, including the hilarious 'Black Dynamite,' Smith's recognition stems from her work with Tyler Perry in 'Daddy's Little Girls' and both 'Married?' films.

As the couple that are always arguing and breaking up to make up, Angela and Marcus were never lost for words in communicating with each other.

In promoting the DVD release of the film, White spoke to BlackVoices.com about doing the sequel and his chemistry with Smith.

You have a lot of funny moments. Did you see yourself as a comedian?

Michael Jai White: Well, my friends that know me, they always say that. I actually have a lot of friends who do stand-up who have really been trying to get me to do stand-up for like the last ten years. In fact, sometimes I write jokes for my friends. When I come up with things I just send it to them. Tyler is a friend of mine. So Tyler knows how I am normally with the whole comedic type of thing. So that's why he cast me in this even thought the public mostly identify me as the guy who beats up people.

Tasha is mostly associated with Tyler's films and is downright hilarious. Had you known her before this movie and how was the chemistry?

MJW: Tasha and I used to date. We were an item before the movie, like ten years ago. So it's funny because in all the years that we've known each other, we've never had as much as an argument. We get along really well. She's one of my favorite people on the planet. So it was kind of funny because Tyler knew us separately and then put us together as a couple without having any idea that we used to date. We were going to keep it secret until I think Tasha let the cat out of the bag one day. I think that it was interesting because we so much kind of historical things to talk about. We clearly got along really well, and so I think people were probably scratching their heads a bit.


If there was any moment in making this film that you were the most proud of, what would it be?

MJW: I mean, I get so proud of just when it's completed and I see the work of my friends. I was really proud. In the first one of course Tasha did her thing. She's amazing. I thought it was just outstanding and in this one everyone is outstanding. I was so proud of what Malik (played by Yoba) did; in particular, the depth that he went with his character. Then Janet [Jackson], with Malik and Janet in those scenes, I thought, "Wow." I was really proud to be a part of this whole thing and it was great to see them do this kind of work and bring that to the screen.

Is there enough material for the project to come back with a third film?

MJW: I believe so. You know how talented Tyler is. Personally, I'm one that would love to explore the Marcus and Angela thing beyond the bickering. I think if you see the times where that couple might be watching a football game together, you may see the things that are special about them, in addition to the other craziness. I think that would be something that Tyler could bring to another movie only because it's giving this other side that's not seen.

What have you been up to lately? Is there going to be a sequel to 'Black Dynamite' or are you working on other projects?

MJW: Currently, I'm in my office right now and I'm directing a movie for Sony Pictures. It's an action film. We're going to be doing another 'Black Dynamite' and we have the 'Black Dynamite' cartoon coming out and I've been doing voice work for that. I did a movie recently with Mario Van Peebles that he directed that's really pointed at the youth. It's a movie with some really strong moral values. It's called 'Where The Party At' and I was very, very proud to be a part of that. I'm keeping busy and I've got this movie and a few others afterwards. It feels good to be in a director's chair. I think there are a lot of tremendous stories out there and there's only a handful of people who know how to tell them and I think I'd be remiss if I didn't do what I can to be one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Tell Us What You Think.....